Tuesday 24 September 2013

Being Happier Through Being Grateful

Closeup of a flower

Practicing gratitude is one of the easiest way to end negative thoughts or feeling and practice being less self focused. Focusing on the beauty in everything helps you find connection and appreciation with the world. However it can be difficult to practice gratitude in situations that are less than pleasant. I break up things to be grateful about into thee categories. Situations, the world and people.

Situations

Stars at night. the lines are caused by the movement of the earth. 
I faced a particular challenge in being grateful a few days ago when the fire alarm went off at 4am. I stumbled outside, half asleep, dazed and muttering about who would be cooking at 4 in the morning. Four hundred of us waited out side in the cold (yes i live in a big building), and were then informed that a hot water had burst and we wouldn't get any hot water.

So how can you be grateful in this situation? I went through and made a mental list of all the good things that have come from this situation.
1. The fire alarm could have stopped someone getting hurt by the hot water
2. I met heaps of new people whilst outside
3. The stars where beautiful
4. My hair was really soft after washing it in cold water, ect.




This made me feel me feel much happier about the situation and i no longer felt up set and angry. Thinking about what good might come out of a situation is a great way to let go of the anger you might be feeling about it.

The World

Close up of a dandelion 
Often we get so caught up in our own worlds we forget to look at the big picture. The world around us is amazing. Take sometime to walk and appreciate nature. It helps you relax and be able to step out of your current issues and a self centered world and see that there is beauty everywhere. 

Looking at the nature around you is a great way to relax and appreciate how special life is. I love looking at flowers and bugs close up. Ordinary things like dandelions are special if you take time to notice them. I have included some photos below from a walk to the shops and all the things i noticed.


People

A lotus seed pod, shown to me by pattsie (A hunter gatherer in the NT Australia)

I try and appreciate and accept all people. I find that the best way to appreciate someone is to let them talk and just sit and listen to what ever they have to say. This was very difficult for me to learn as i have very strong views and i enjoy challenging peoples views. I have had to learn to bite my tongue, and it has been very worth it. You make new friends and meet new people if you let your guard down and accept that people will have their own views and you can not change it. 

A good way to do this is ask questions about a new person you have met and see where it takes you. The hardest part about this is rejection, where people obviously don't want to talk to you. I have experienced this several times and it can hurt, but keep trying because creating a connection with new people is very rewarding.

Keep Looking

Bull ants on a light bulb 

Everyday look for situations that you are grateful for. You should feel happier and more relax almost straight away and begin to appreciate how special life is.
Here are some lemons my granddad grew. No particularity reason for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment