Saturday 5 October 2013

Yummy Vegan Pumpkin and Rice

I was really excited today for a few reasons:

  1. My wonderful boyfriend and i had a great golf practice session 
  2. I was going up to see my grandfather, who eats mainly vegetarian. This means i can cook a really yummy vegan dinner for him! 
  3. I got to cook said dinner in my grandmothers massive kitchen!
I was thinking about what to cook all day and i ended up mixing a few different recipes together to get a beautiful pumpkin and rice, with broccoli for dinner! You could serve this as a side with meat if you are cooking for someone who wants meat.

Serves 2 (Double all ingredients for 4 people)

Ingredients 

Spiced Rice

1 cup rice
1 red onion
1/4 cup dried cranberries 
1/4 cup pistachios 
Pinch cinnamon 
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 Olives (chopped)
Olive oil
Salt 
Rosemary

Pumpkin

500g - 700g pumpkin (any variety, but i used half a Queensland blue)
Pinch cinnamon 
Pinch nutmeg
Olive oil
Salt 
Rosemary 
Sage

How to make it

Rice

Cook rice as normal 
Fry onion and rosemary in a pan with olive oil
Add other ingredients
Mix in rice

Its as easy as that!

Pumpkin

Preheat oven to 250c
Scrape seeds from pumpkin
Mix the herbs and spices together with some olive oil (use your hands and crush the sage and rosemary)
Rub the mixture on the pumpkin
Wrap the pumpkin in foil and place in the oven
Cook for approximately 45 minuets or until it is easily cut with a knife

Plate up with some veggies and enjoy!

I loved cooking this because of all the different herbs! They smelt amazing! I practiced mindfulness whilst cooking and it felt amazing to become lost in the different smells.

This was my first try at a recipe i hope you enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment